Creating an Engaging Home Page
This document describes how to replace the default view of the home page/worksite information pane and create a more engaging home page in your site.
Upon creation all module sites link through to http://www.courses.hull.ac.uk which provides basic course information and is displayed in the site home page. You can design your own home page providing a greater level of detail about the course, and a more appealing and welcoming introduction to your site. The home page doesn't have to stay the same; it can be replaced with newer versions at regular intervals. It may be worth creating a 'home page' folder to save the files in if you are considering making regular changes.
Create the HTML page
In the resources tool select Create a HTML page from the Add drop-down menu. You can then insert and format the content. You can also add images and links etc.
- Click Continue.
- Type a filename in the Name box, 'homepage' would be an appropriate choice.
There is no need to change any other settings.
- Click Finish at the bottom of the page.
You will then have to link Worksite Information to the HTML file and the URL of the file is needed to do this.
- Right-click on the filename 'homepage', click Copy Shortcut (Internet Explorer) or Copy Link Location (Firefox).
The URL for the HTML page is now in the Windows clipboard.
- Click Site Home.
- Click Options in the Worksite Information pane.
- In the Title box, type homepage.
- Delete the text in the Site Info URL box.
- Right-click in the Site Info URL box and click Paste toadd the URL of your homepage.
- Place your cursor in the Site Info URL box and if there is already text in there delete it.
- Click Update Options to implement the changes.