Turnitin app for iPad
Turnitin have produced an app for the iPad for staff to use to review, assess, feedback and grade work. This app lets you access student submissions to assignments that have been created in eBridge and supports offline working via its syncing approach. This enables you to do all of your reading, Grading and feedback for 100's of student submissions all from the comfort of your iPad regardless of where you are.
You can review the orginality report and use Grademark within the app. The app is available from the iTunes App Store and is free.
(You have to have an Instructor account created in eBridge to use the app).
Setting up the app for TurnitinUK
First time use only:
You will first need to change the source setting on Turnitin for iPad to point to TurnitinUK. To change Turnitin for iPad's source setting:
- Open Settings on your iPad (looks like an app with a cog image)
- Scroll the navigation menu on the left hand side down to Turnitin
- Tap the Turnitin line
- Tap the 'Service' field
- Tap 'TurnitinUK'
- Exit settings
You should only need to change this setting once. The app will remember your chosen service setting should you need to log out and log back in to Turnitin for iPad.
Accessing assignments submitted through eBridge
You will need to generate a Turnitin class access code in order to log in to your classes on Turnitin for iPad.
To generate a unique class access code:
- Sign into eBridge from your computer or iPad.
- Navigate to the eBridge site where the assignment was set.
- Open the assignment tool and select Grade for one of the assignments that has had submissions.
- Open the Turnitin document viewer for a paper in the class by clicking on the coloured icon for Turnitin.
- Click on the iPad access code button in the bottom left of the document viewer
- Tap 'Generate Code'
- The unique class access code will be displayed. Copy this code or write it down.
- On your iPad open the Turnitin for iPad app. Tap the profile icon (it looks like a person)
- Tap the 'Add class with access code' button. Paste or enter your access code and tap the 'Add' button.
- Each class you want to add requires its own unique access code so you will need to repeat the process above for each class.
Getting your class assignments synced
- Once logged in, tap the 'Accounts' button in the upper right to view the sidebar (if you are holding the iPad in landscape orientation, the sidebar will already be visible).
- Tap on the account you want to access - for eBridge assignments this will be 'Sakai', for Classes created directly on Turnitin this will be 'University of Hull'. This will give you a list of all of your active classes under this account.
- Tap on the Class you want to view. This will give you a list of all the assignments from this class.
- Tap on the assignment you want to view. The main window will update to view the list of students categorized by ungraded, graded, or not submitted and sorted alphabetically.
- Tap on one of the blue cloud-download icons to download and sync papers.
- In the Sync Papers box that appears, you will be prompted to sync all papers for the assignment. Tap the 'Sync Papers' button to enable syncing. With this enabled, all papers will download and changes will be synced approximately every 5 minutes.
- Once all papers are downloaded you will see the Overall Similarity Scores for each paper. Tap on any student name to view that paper.
Turnitin has extensive support for the app on their website and embedded within the app itself.
The following link to Turnitin's site and have both video and textual instructions: